Monday, August 1, 2011

The Miller of Dee........

The Miller of Dee


There dwelt a miller, hale and bold,
Beside the river Dee;
He worked and sang from morn till night,
No lark more blithe than he;
And this the burden of his song
Forever used to be:
"I envy nobody - no, not I -
And nobody envies me!"

"Thou'rt wrong, my friend," said good King Hal,
"As wrong as wrong can be;
For could my heart be light as thine,
I'd gladly change with thee.
And tell me now, what makes thee sing,
With voice so loud and free,
While I am sad, though I am king,
Beside the river Dee?"

The miller smiled and doffed his cap,
"I earn my bread," quoth he;
"I love my wife, I love my friend,
I love my children three;
I owe no penny I can not pay,
I thank the river Dee,
That turns the mill that grinds the corn
That feeds my babes and me."

"Good friend," said Hall, and sighed the while,
"Farewell, and happy be;
But say no more, if thou'dst be true,
That no one envies thee;
Thy mealy cap is worth my crown,
Thy mill my kingdom's fee;
Such men as thou are England's boast,
O miller of the Dee!





   --------  This is one of my favourite poems, composed by Charles Mackay , a British poet and journalist. Contentment of the miller is the need of present day to make any nation happy.I have kept this poem in my heart .'Thy mealy cap is worth my crown' appealed me most... but alas!!!!!!it can't appeal now a days politicians...........Another  Great lessons: labour honestly, and envy no one! .......One more thing why I still remember is this was the poem i was given to teach in my B.Ed final exam........

No comments:

Post a Comment